Saturday, June 27, 2009

Something Summer Says

Growing up with family in the Riverbend, I spent much of my youth going to patriotic events. Here we are in summer, with Flag Day recently passed, but other fine things on the horizon.



Reading in the Telegraph, I see that on Monday, 29 June, 2009, there will be what can be considered a patriotic event along Illinois Route 140 at Gordon Moore Park. That is the 10:00 a.m. ceremony marking the new "name" along the stretch of that highway from IL 255 to the Homer Adams Parkway: "AMERICAN VETERANS MEMORIAL PARKWAY".



Having read the copyright story in the Telegraph, I note that Dan Brannan is giving due credit to Marion Ray, who spearheaded the idea that such a designation be given a stretch of road in Alton. Mr. Ray, a World War II prisoner of war and U.S. Army veteran, is deserving of such credit. If he did not dream up such an idea and put many hours, weeks, months and years of effort into contacting the right people at the local, state and federal levels, it may never have become a reality. But, thankfully, it will be a reality.



It's also the celebration of the Declaration of Independence of the United States of America come July 4th. And I can hardly wait to see the fireworks.

In the Riverbend, we know how lucky/blessed we are, with the Regional Airport in Bethalto showcasing a so-called "Fireworks Festival", ending with a nice display Sunday night, 28 June 2009. I recall many of my younger days sitting near the riverfront in Alton and watching a great display of fireworks on the 4th of July (or whichever nearby date or dates were scheduled). I can hardly wait to see this year's Grand Finale!



These are just a few things that make me glad that I'm a Riverbend resident. Oh my, are we lucky and/or blessed to be in this area...I'm looking forward to what summer says to me in the United States of America: "we are free!"



God Bless America --- our home, sweet, home!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment